A Journey to Greatness

A COMMUNITY OF LEARNERS: EVERYONE, EVERY DAY, ALL DAY!

Thursday, April 4, 2013

5 Quick Things

LET'S MEET SOME OF THE TERRIFIC PEOPLE THAT MAKE NORMANDIN MS A 'GREAT' PLACE TO LEARN!
 
 
Ms. Weaver-Grade 6 ELA/SS
 
#5  I have been an avid soccer player since grade school; played in college and beyond.  Coached varsity soccer at Bradenton Academy in Florida, and I am still a youth soccer coach for the town of Plymouth, for my daughters team “The Galaxy Girls!”
#4  I am a motorcycle enthusiast! Rode dirt bikes with my cousins as kids and began riding motorcycles shortly after graduating college.  Enjoy going on sponsored runs, two of my favorites being the Halloween Run in Salem and the Toys for Tots in Dorchester.  There is no greater feeling than “cruising” with a bunch of friends.  On day I would love to travel cross-country on the motorcycle.  Stopping in Sturgis of course!   (PS- MY mother hates this!)
#3  I love to travel. However, I have been in the same classroom since this Normandin opened in 2003. I met my husband on vacation 13 years ago.  We have been married 10 years and have 2 beautiful children.  We take the kids on an adventure every year!  Last year was an east coast road trip with stops in Baltimore, Washington DC, Myrtle Beach and Anna Maria Island. A visit to Niagara Falls and camping in the mountains of North Carolina are planned for this summer. 
#2  For 12 years I worked on a fishing and whale watching fleet.  For years I was the only girl deckhand. Yes, I can run lines, tie knots, gaff fish, and filet with the best of them. This experience allowed me to see the Tall Ships up close and personal, twice.  Salt water runs through my veins, I currently live less than a block from the ocean. 
#1  I will always have a rock/stone/pebble in my possession.  During a time in my life when my health was failing and it seemed everything that could go wrong did, my aunt took me for a walk on the beach.  While we were walking she told me to fill my pockets with pebbles and stones.  In silence we collected stones until I was so weighed down and could not carry anymore.  As we drove home I emptied my stones on the floor of the car and asked why?  She explained to me that the stones were my problems, and as I solved them (or got over my obstacle) I was to return my stones to the beach as a sign they were gone for good.  I did and within 2 years I was down to just 3 stones.  What a way of putting life into perspective!  I have never gotten rid of every stone, and pick up a few more every now and again.  But what a good feeling when I can give them back, some stones are meant for throwing. 




Mr. Griffin-Grade 7 Math
 
1. Won the city championship in 8th grade for cross country
2. I have a 3 yr old sister
3. My favorite time of the day/week besides the time I spend at Normandin, is before 8 am on a Saturday
4. I am from Philadelphia and I am a die hard Phillies fan
5. Worked at the Red Sox team store on Yawkey Way next to Fenway park two Summers ago

No comments:

Post a Comment